Thursday, December 6, 2007

nail polish and paperback novels


i am typing with wet nails the color of malaga wine (thank you, o.p.i., for your never ending supply of ridiculous names for nail polish) and reflecting upon the easy day i've had. i spent lots of time w/ family and friends and watched my favorite show (project runway, woop woop). i read. i drew. i made jewelry. i played w/ my kitty cats. and it was all perfect. except...except....IT'S SO COLD! damn you, christopher pierre, for waking up everyday to sunny skies and mild temperatures. 
o.k. i'm over it.
i am currently reading an excellent book called "what is the what: the autobiography of valentino achak" by dave eggers. it tells the story of valentino, one of the lost boys of sudan who fled his homeland on foot when their civil war broke out. i'm only a third into the book, but i'm finding it very well written and told simply, but with eloquence. it beats the book i recently finished which so many people recommended. don't waste your time on reading "water for elephants" by sara gruen. it kind of pissed me off and continues to do so the more i think about it. there were points (a few too many) where i felt like i was reading a script for a cheesy lifetime movie. i thought the characters were unrealistic and the circumstances too convenient. also, i HATE reading or seeing anything that has to do with poor treatment of animals. this story takes place in a circus so there was a lot of that going on. grrr.
p.s. dina, i have myspacer friends and i'm still technically one, so take it back, biatch.

8 comments:

Chrissy said...

Marie, I love you but no one gives a fuck about books. Specially ones with more words than pictures. If ANYTHING is "so 2 years ago", its READING! BOOOoo.

marie antoinette said...

chris, if you read anything other than the berenstein bears, you would know that "specially" is not a word.

Chrissy said...

Marie, I may not have done very well in grade school, barely graduated high school, and dropped out of college within my 2nd semester. If there is one thing I am good at, its vocabulary/spelling. So yes, specially IS indeed a word, just like GAHBA is a word.

p.s. Berenstain Bears is nothing short of genius as far as childrens literature is concerned. The only thing better than that was My 16 little princesses movie where the guy was eating knife-in-hand cut FIGIL and made it look so damn good and crunchy

Candice P.J. said...

Dave Eggers is amazing. A Heartbreaking Work Of Staggering Genius is one of my favorite books... go out and get it if you don't already got it!

Candice P.J. said...

I just read your comment, Marie, about specially not being a word... I'm laughing my ass off...

by the way, that first sentence you wrote in your second reponse, Chrissy, is not a complete sentence... ha ha ha (just giving you a hard time!)

renee said...

OMG!!! Marie stole my blogger buddy Candice!!!

Anonymous said...

Chris I’ve been saying that for years, books and reading are overrated just like school is for losers. I mean I have a psychology degree and I own a clothing store and edit strip club dvds for a living, what’s up with that. By the way Chris your unitards came in.

Chrissy said...

YIPEE UNITARDS, Its like retards but more... Ha HA HA very funny CPJ... by the way, those are my initials too! Chris Pierre Joseph Gabriel.