Tuesday, January 6, 2009

1.9.80

as my 29th birthday approaches, i can't help but reflect on the past year and what i have done to move forward. i finally moved out into my own place--that's good. but, i still have a slight panic forming inside my brain and in the pit of my stomach that is a not-so-friendly reminder that i need to figure out what i'm doing with my life in regards to settling down. 
as i drove my car to whatever errand i ran this morning, i zoned out and started to have a conversation with myself in my head. it went something like this: 

"i know that i should probably try to pick up the pace with finding a husband so that i can be married for a little while so that a few years down the road i can have kids, but what if that's not what i'm meant to do? what if i've been putting all my focus on the wrong thing? maybe this is the time to really think more seriously about my art. maybe i should be focusing on being a serious artist instead of just doing it on the side. maybe that's what i should do."

as i completed the last sentence in my head, a car that was driving along side me in the next lane slowed down and i noticed a little girl in the backseat window. she had a darling face framed with braided pigtails. she looked me in the eye and waved a delicate little hand. i hesitated for a moment because i was completely taken off guard and then i finally smiled and waved back. 

um...was that a sign?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

aw, marie! i love you! don't focus on anything, whatever is meant to happen, will happen.

Mishy said...

don't listen to foof. it was a sign that i need to stop babysitting strangers and start babysitting my nieces and nephews! foof? marie? chris?

Anonymous said...

You need to go on a date. I'm keeping my eye out for you? Also, watch a video tape of a child birth, or stroll down Meijer in the morning with the sound of a brat having a temper tantrum (sp?) and you may have second thoughts.

--Cousin Farah

Anonymous said...

Also, if you go on a date, you'll be able to have a conversation with another person rather than with yourself.

--Cousin Farah

Anonymous said...

hahahaha, farah! u r hilarious! and michelle, intee em khubla!!?? you're not going to meet gabriel and lousia for a very very very very long time!

Chrissy said...

haha you guys r nutso!

Marie, There are signs in front of us every single day and it is our mind discretion whether we formulate them or not. For example, say Michelle and Renee were in the car with you and saw that same girl, would the sign be the same for them. Its all relative, subjective and objective.

The only real sign that matters is what your instincts tell you, which is not to be confused with geico, which could save you hundreds on car insurance.

p.s. keep your eye on the road please.